Workshop info (Live in-person):
Friday, September 16th, 2022
9:00 am- 4:30 pm (6 APT CEs); $160
21015 Market Ridge, San Antonio, TX 78258
Description of Workshop:
During this interactive playshop, attendees will learn to support military-connected children through the use of relational play therapy with an emphasis on attachment. Using a combination of experiential practice and case studies, we will take a deep look into the unique culture of grief within military families. Specifically, the presenters will explore types of grief, highlighting the pervasive impact of non-death-related grief and the subsequent impacts on attachment and relational needs. Participants will learn about formal and informal assessments that can be used with military families to address stress, grief, and attachment patterns. Participants will also deepen their understanding of military culture and learn how to tailor their practice to meet the military cultural competencies and identify various military events that impact a child’s attachment. Participants will walk away with a deeper understanding of play therapy treatment goals and interventions to address grief, attachment patterns, and play-based methods to increase continued bonds within military families.
- Identify military cultural competencies and name the four primary competencies.
- Assess military life stressors that create and/or complicate grief in military children before play therapy treatment.
- Discuss the types of grief and related play themes in military-connected children.
- Identify and practice relationally-based play therapy interventions to process grief.
- Develop play therapy treatment goals that address the grieving process and build attachment bonds within the military family system.
- Identify attachment-based play therapy interventions to strengthen attachment within the family systems.
Schedule of Events:
9:00-10:30 Military competencies; Assessment of military families
10:30 to 10:45 Break
10:45 to 12:15 Impacts of grief on attachment
12:15 to 1:00 lunch
1:00 to 2:30 Individual and family treatment goals
2:30 to 2:45 Break
2:45 to 4:15 Family interventions/engagements
4:15 to 4:30 Q/A; Evaluations
Christina Watts-Figueroa, MA., LMFT-S, LPC, RPT
Renee Turner, Ph.D., LPC-S, RPT-S
Cancellation requests must occur at least 14 days before the training event for a full refund, minus a $25 administrative fee. Cancellation requests with less than 14 days notice will not be honored. 100% attendance is required to earn CE credit.
Dr. Renee Turner adheres to all legal and ethical responsibilities and is committed to non-discriminatory practices. While every attempt is made to anticipate and resolve problems, complaints may still arise. Complaints about the speaker, educational material presented, or training facilities should be addressed with Dr. Renee Turner who will attempt to resolve the matter as quickly and easily as possible.