Healing the Inner Child: Sandtray for adults with complex childhood trauma
The workshop is IN PERSON and limited to 16 participants for social distancing. COVID-19 vaccinations are required (honor system).
CE hours: 12 Direct Contact APT hours provided up completion. Partial credit is not allowed.
Cost: $320 (price includes nesting doll set)
Location: The Workshop, 300 Allen St, Austin, TX 78702.
Presenter: Renee Turner, Ph.D., LPC-S, RPT-S
Child therapy clinicians are often faced with parents whose own complicated trauma histories cloud the child and overall family system. Scores of research reveal that adverse childhood experiences (ACES) have long-term impacts on adult functioning. Additionally, scholars suggest that emotional wounds from childhood shape internal working models and personal narratives, driving patterns of dysfunction and poor attachment. Given the importance of addressing attachment in child and family therapy, play therapists could benefit from involving caregivers in adult play-based therapy aimed at exploring childhood trauma. This highly experiential workshop focuses on activities geared toward healing the inner child. Participants will learn about the inner child healing method as it relates to parents, promoting empathy and compassion in the family system, and adult healing. Intervention areas include a combination of play, guided imagery, sandtray, and cognitive evaluation through the lens of Gestalt Play Therapy.
Note: This training is considered advanced in nature. Attendees must demonstrate at least 10 hours in sandtray training to enroll. Graduate students are not allowed to attend this event.
- Identify the impact of complex childhood trauma on adults,
- Identify the role of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES) on adult functioning,
- List the benefits of play therapy with adults,
- Name the role of inner child work in adult play therapy,
- Explain how the inner child can be introduced in play therapy with adults and when it is contraindicated,
- Experience an inner child imagery to evoke the inner child in adult play therapy sessions,
- Identify and practice an adult play therapy activity geared toward examining childhood connection and attachment,
- Distinguish between Adult and Child parts of and the role each part in the play therapy session,
- Learn and practice an inner child needs assessment to promote insight and empathy for the inner child,
- Describe two adult play therapy sandtray interventions to integrate Adult and Child parts
House Nesting Dolls Included in Registration
8:30- 10:00 workshop
10:00- 10:15 break
2:45- 4:15 workshop
Cancellations prior to 14 days of the training date will be refunded minus a $50 processing fee. Cancellations occurring within 14 days of the training are non-refundable, however, registrants can apply 50% of the fee paid to a non-contact training or future live training. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Dr. Renee Turner adheres to all legal and ethical responsibilities and is committed to non-discriminatory practices. While every attempt is made to anticipate and resolve problems, complaints may still arise. Complaints pertaining to the speaker, educational material presented, or training facilities should be addressed with Dr. Renee Turner who will attempt to resolve the matter as quickly and easily as possible.
Austin, TX 78702